Before COVID-19, MAX SF was going to the movies monthly. Now that we are on lockdown, we’ve decided to try going to the movies using Netflix. For this activity, you need a Netflix streaming account. Members are invited to watch the show on their own using their Netflix account, then join us for a discussion about the show, using Zoom, on Saturday, June 27 at 7 p.m.
In order to join the discussion, you must register for the Zoom discussion on the MAX SF website – the Zoom discussion is free! All those who register will receive instructions by email on the day of the discussion, with the link and password join the Zoom conversation. Due to buffering and sound problems with Zoom when displaying videos, we are unable to watch the show together. As a result, you need to watch at least part of the show before the Zoom discussion.
June is Pride Month in San Francisco, so we’ve decided to watch the hit new mini-series “Hollywood” on Netflix, which deals in part with the LGBTQ community in a story about aspiring actors and filmmakers in the post-World War II “Golden Age” of Hollywood (1947-48) as they try to make it in the film industry – at almost any cost. Part of the series centers on a gas station that gives more service than just fillup of a car’s gas tank! If customers mention a secret code word, a hunky gas station attendant hops in the car – with the customer – and then off they go to … well, you get the picture! The idea of a gas station turned brothel might seem absurd – but it evidently is based on historical facts according to a 2012 memoir, Full Service: My Adventures in Hollywood and the Secret Sex Lives of the Stars, written by Scotty Bowers (with Lionel Friedberg).
Here’s a link to the trailer to whet your appetite: https://bit.ly/HollywoodPreview.
The mini-series has seven episodes, each about 50 minutes long. To be a part of the Zoom discussion, watch just one of the episodes, or all of them in advance– it’s up to you! We’ll share opinions and experiences, including whether we liked the show or not. Everyone is welcome! Come, join the fun with your event coordinator, Bruce Cecil!
For more details and to register for the event, click HERE.
Here's how this event will work:
You must register in order to receive the link to the Zoom meeting, participate in the Zoom meeting, and to receive any further details from the event champions.
- Click REGISTER on the left to register for the online video meeting. The video meeting will be a Zoom meeting. Please be sure to provide an accurate email address so that you'll receive the invitation to the video meeting.
- Watch all or part of the Netflix mini-series Hollywood in your home sometime before 7 p.m. June 27th.
- Bruce will email a link for the Zoom meeting on June 27th.
- On Saturday, June 27th, click on the link in the email from Bruce to join the 7 p.m. Zoom meeting. Nothing else needs to be done. If using a PC, you'll want a working microphone and speakers. If you have a webcam, then others will be able to see you. Zoom also works very well if you have an iPad or a smartphone - you just need to download the free app. You may also call-in with any phone and participate via voice only.
- You'll be able to see and talk with others from MAX as you share your experiences and thoughts on watching the Netflix mini-series Hollywood.
Click REGISTER on the left today to be invited to the Saturday, June 27th, 7 p.m. Zoom meeting to discuss the Netflix miniseries Hollywood.