In mid-2017, MAX turned the tables and reached out to our members to ask a couple of simple questions: who are you and what do you want? The feedback was overwhelming: even though the two surveys we sent out (one was anonymous) were long and involved, we received an over 15% response rate, which – in market research terms – is astonishing.
The results were enlightening. While in many cases we weren’t surprised by what we heard, we still learned a few things that have guided us to develop the kinds of programming you see being introduced today.
Here are some research highlights:
We join MAX to regularly meet old friends, meet potential friends/partners, participate in a variety of interesting events, be part of the community and have fun.
- Seen as great alternative to the bars
- Hook-ups seems to be very much a minor consideration.
We are in our 40’s and above, active in the workforce, and well-educated.
- 74% work; 20% are retired.
- 85% of the members have college and/or post-graduate degrees.
We live in SF and the East Bay and are evenly split between singles and couples.
- 70% of members are in San Francisco. 85% are in San Francisco and East Bay.
- Single: 47%; in relationship: 42%
We are financially comfortable, but cautious.
- Comfortable, but not wealthy. Individual income spread pretty evenly in all five quintiles with 27% in $100,000 to $150,000.
- Price is an important consideration for 81% of members.
We like to be social, but are not big partiers.
- 74% go out to restaurants about two times a week.
- 60% go to bars about once a week.
- 2/3 of members drink wine, cocktails, and beer; 1/3 do not drink.
- While we have some beer drinkers, our members tend towards cocktails and wine.
- 63% would attend an event with marijuana.
We often belong to more than one social group. Our biggest overlaps with other groups include Bridgemen, California Men’s Gathering (CMG), East Bay Network, Equality California, Horizon’s Foundation, Gay Men’s Chorus.
We like many kinds of events: travel (especially touring the City, Bay Area, and California), attending TGIF, going to theater events/art galleries/cabaret, dining with others, attending unique events, and are interested in health and fitness.
We like to travel: 90% travel within California 1 to 3 times per year; 86% travel US/International 1 to 3 times per year.
We are active social communicators.
- 74% use Facebook.
- They hear about events through friends and word of mouth.
- 89% learn about MAX events from email.